When we are confronted with that which is amazing and wonderous and profound, too often our first response is to reduce that experience with mundane explanations, even if in doing so, we are compelled to distort and forget that which we knew, if even for a brief moment, to be true.

These are the wonderous stories of the Heart Family.


Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Family Building 102

IMG_1287 e s

The introduction of Light Heart and Golden Heart didn’t go exactly as planned. To be more honest, didn’t go as planned at all. I decided to throw caution to the wind and start opening the door a crack so they could meet nose to nose, and slowly to let Golden Heart out of the confines of her small room. After all, she could not live in the bathroom forever.

Light Heart was delighted by this turn of events and proceeded to chase her as often as he could, with sheer joy. She would run from his every advance, hollering the whole time. The great chase was on.

Now to be fair, I did give her time alone in the rest of the home, and put Light Heart away to give her a break and let her get to know the rest of her world, but we couldn’t keep him put away forever, just as we could not keep her confined to her small space.

At night the great chase would sometimes happen right across me as I laid in bed, and my only defense was to be fast enough to pull the covers over my head right before they crossed over my face. This was more chaos that I had ever imagined two cats could bring to my life.

A frantic call to the adoption counselor initiated a search through Light Heart’s medical records to confirm that his neuter process was actually complete (i.e. did they find both? as sometimes they do not). Indeed he was confirmed to be a fully neutered male. Apparently no one told him.

This would not be my last call to the adoption counselor for advice.

Eventually Golden Heart grew a bit bigger, and Light Heart slowed down just a bit on his chasing games and we managed from time to time, to have peace in the home.

I had come to realize that I had no idea what I was doing with regard to cat care. There was so much to learn. I bought a pile of books, thinking that is where I would find my answers.

Truly the real lessons I was going to learn would not come at all from these books.

No comments: