When we are confronted with that which is amazing and wonderous and profound, too often our first response is to reduce that experience with mundane explanations, even if in doing so, we are compelled to distort and forget that which we knew, if even for a brief moment, to be true.

These are the wonderous stories of the Heart Family.


Friday, January 2, 2009

Resurrection

It had been a rough year for me, with many loses, both professionally and personally. I didn’t realize until then how much I defined who I was by what I did. Before this time, if you asked me who I was, I would have said I am a scientist or I am a lesbian. I had thought my future was well mapped out, but now I could not see my future at all.

I read a small pocket sized book introducing Buddhism and found some jewels of wisdom that would eventually guide me through this dark time. It taught me about letting go of the script that would run in my head, about letting go of the struggle against the pain that sometimes washed over me, about just letting go of it all.

This vital message of lesson in letting go was an important step in the process of my reconstruction. Letting go of the old baggage created space for adventures I could not yet imagine possible.

No comments: